The Rehab Epicenter: 6 Reasons to Choose a Treatment Facility in South Florida
There are plenty of good reasons why there is a predominance of treatment centers for drug and alcohol addiction in South Florida. Of course, the weather makes the southernmost state an ideal destination to seek recovery. Perhaps in the beginning that may have been the case, but our top reason will show you why getting sober, and living sober, go hand in hand in the sunshine state.
1. The predominance of treatment facilities, which offer detox, inpatient and outpatient services in Florida far surpasses that of any other state. In Palm Beach County alone, the number of treatment facilities has risen 51% since 2007 (totaling apprx. 120). Having access to different facilities allows a client to transition to different levels of care, especially if their detox center does not offer an inpatient program, for example. In addition, insurance can be tricky depending on your coverage. Clients who are required to switch facilities due to insurance purposes have the opportunity to do so within a manageable geographic area.
2. There is a large availability of transitional housing. Most clients are advised to transition into a halfway home after completing treatment in order to maintain their accountability within a group of their peers, who also urge them to continue visiting 12-step meetings and pursue a road to recovery. It can seem impossible to return home to old behaviors so having the accessibility and comforts of home within a transitional living situation can mean the difference between recovery and relapse.
3. The weather! Weather can impact a person’s mood and willingness to embrace more activities in early sobriety, vital in allowing them to form new interests and passions to overcome the urge to use. Many addicts find that they’ve lost the drive to do the things they once enjoyed as a result of the powerful obsession of addiction. In early recovery, having the ability to enjoy recreational activities all year round in a pleasant setting is a key benefit when looking for the right rehabilitation facility.
4. Availability of work. It is estimated that about 30% of all patients who enter into a rehab in South Florida end up staying permanently. One of the reasons why is the availability of work in the state, which ranges from professional career opportunities to seasonal and service work, ideal for candidates who need to slowly transition back into normal life.
5. Legal case management. Most facilities offer a specialized team who is able to manage a clients’ legal matters while they are in treatment. Many addicts and alcoholics have acquired substantial legal ramifications because of their use. The anxiety associated with handling overwhelming paperwork, appointments and finances due to a judgement or felony keeps many addicts away from addressing their legal matters altogether. The team of case managers ensures each client is set up to complete their requirements as outlined by their judgement so they can focus on recovery.
6. Availability of 12-step meetings and sober networking. Since Florida is home to so many rehabilitation centers, transitional housing and ultimately sober residents, it makes sense that there is a profound number of meetings available at all times of the day. In Palm Beach County alone, there are over 500 meetings happening every week hosting over 5,000 attendees. The New York Times dubbed Delray Beach, a surf town located in Palm Beach County, “The Country’s largest and most vibrant recovery community”. Other areas of the nation have a sparse population of meetings, making it difficult to maintain sobriety there. In Florida, the recovery community is so large there is a dedicated radio station as well as a number of festivals, expos, art exhibits and coffee shops that focus on people in recovery.
The Hope Center for Rehabilitation is located in Boynton Beach Florida, neighboring nearby Delray Beach. For more information about the services we offer, call one of our team members at 1.866.233.1869.